Thursday 19 November 2015

The End of the World (Fin del Mundo) and the end of this blog (kind of)

Hello hello dearies,

I do realise it's been a while since my last update.

I'm reporting live from Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina (though separated from the rest of Argentina by Chile or water). Ushuaia calls itself the "end of the world" and its claim to fame is that it is officially the southernmost city in the world. I am near Antartica, New Zealand, etc. They don't seem to like Brits much here, but that's another story.

I'm travelling with my parents and sister, and we arrived here a couple of nights ago, in the snow (in late spring) following a 20 hour bus ride which involved two tedious, slow, messy border crossings (into Chile and then back out again, because that's efficient) and a ride on a ferry. Also, the buses on this route only run once a day, starting at 3 am and there's a stopover at another town (Rio Gallegos) about 4 hours in. Good fun!

Yesterday we went on an educational (and cold) 4 hour catamaran trip down the Beagle Channel, visiting an island of sea lions, an island of not-penguins (though they were black and white birds who often got mistaken for penguins, they flew, which penguins do not), a cool lighthouse and interesting islands, and finally an island of (for real) penguins (2 different kinds!)

It is not our first visit to the penguins on this trip. We also saw a large colony near Puerto Madryn (500,000 strong).

I've clearly not been updating this blog frequently, and I've realised that when I have time to blog, I don't have much to say (because I'm not travelling) and when I am travelling, there isn't time to blog (I don't know how all those travel bloggers do it) and therefore I've made the decision to close down this blog due to lack of resources.

In reality, I'll continue to update with random thoughts when the muse bites me, but it may not be regular at all. I recommend subscribing to the mailing list in the side bar on the right if you'd like to continue to be updated on goings-on in my life.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment