Wednesday 16 September 2015

Reading list

For those with a further interest in the region, I usually recommend two authors:

1. Elizabeth Pisani's "Indonesia Etc." and its corresponding blog. My sister Beatrix got me a copy for Christmas and the hardback is gorgeous, if somewhat impractical....

2. Farish A. Noor's "Qur'an and Cricket". A historian's travelogue. Prepare for some flowery prose.

I've just watched Pete Teo's Malaysia Day videos from 2013, with some really nice old shots of what Malaysia was like around the time of independence (the end of colonialism and the ideological struggles of emerging nation states at the time, both in this region and outside, really capture my imagination). He has the Malay version, and the English version.

For those who didn't pick up - the red shirt yesterday was in (ironic!) reference to the fact that yesterday, Malaysia Day, was when people who were pro-Malay rights went out onto the streets of KL to show their views. Red t-shirts were worn to contrast again the Bersih yellow shirts. (Bersih stands for free and fair elections.) Yellow shirts and red shirts... turning into another regional neighbour - Thailand?

Along the same theme, I am coincidentally doing some work transcribing interviews about the future of Singapore from the average Singaporean. (I don't think that is confidential.) It's interesting to get some deeper insights into the Singaporean mentality and worldview.

I wonder if Singaporeans ever get asked if they speak Singaporean (as I sometimes get asked if I speak Malaysian).

1 comment:

  1. If Caca's in touch with any Capoeiristas here, let me know. Not even a whisper of Capoeira here....

    ReplyDelete